Monday, November 1, 2010

The Year of My Sister's Christmas Socks

For nearly a year I have had a project hanging over my head, waiting to be finished - my sister's Xmas socks of 2009.  My dear, sweet sister has often asked for socks for her birthday or Christmas, and I have always tried to oblige.

K1P1 ribbing - 6 1/2 inches
Last year she wanted knee highs.  Actually, knee + highs.  So, while at Rhinebeck she picked out an incredible shade of near-neon red from Creatively Dyed Yarns.  Despite having over 500 yards of yarn, I was still concerned that I might not have enough yardage, so I added in some extra sock yarn leftover from another project.  I got the yarn mid-October.  I started the socks at the end of November.  By Christmas both socks were halfway done, that is, they were normal sock size.  I wrapped them up, needles and all, and gave them to my sister.  Then I had her try them on and return them to me.  And so they sat, and sat, and sat. I had to work out the calf increases.  And while my sister has feet nearly the same size as mine, her calves are just on a different scale than mine.

Opal Toes and Heels - Judy's Magic Cast on and Short Row heels
I studied her measurements carefully, calculated ease, checked my gauge over and over.  And I hope I got it right.  Because as of October 1, I picked up the challenge to finish my sister's Xmas Socks (2009), preferably before Thanksgiving.  And yesterday, October 31, 2010 I finished my sister's socks.

Knee + High Xmas Socks.

And no, I am not giving them to her for Christmas this year.  She will be receiving them once they are blocked....however long that takes!

Pattern: Improvised
Yarn: Creatively Dyed Yarn, steele.  Red. 510 yards per skein.  Opal Uni Solid, in fuschia.
Needles: 2.25 mm and size 2.5 mm.  From toes to mid calf - on two circs. From calf increases to ribbing, magic loop.




2 comments:

  1. Yay, they're done! Holler if you want to borrow my sock blockers! :-) And good grief, you have a lot of leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful color to spice up the ginkos. You are done!!!!!

    ReplyDelete