Sunday, October 23, 2011

Returned from Rhinebeck...

...and holy COW do I have a lot of yarn.  I got a lovely variety of things, and I will even admit to standing in the crazy Sanguine Gryphon line Saturday morning - my wait was only about thirty minutes. My favorite yarn purchase?  Probably the sweater's worth of Green Mountain Spinnery 'Green' yarn.  No pictures this year, unless I snag some from friends - I was more interested in my experience than documenting it this year.  I saw a variety of bloggers and other knitterati I recognized: Yarn Harlot, Jen of Nipperknits, Ann of Weaverknits, Stephen West, Casey and Jess (and Eloise) of Ravelry, Ysolda Teague, Clara Parkes, Steven of Bitches Get Stitches, among a variety of others! I went with three Michigan (and former-Michigan) friends, and it is always fun to watch Rhinebeck through another knitter's eyes.

Pre-ravelry dinner was fantastic at Ric Orlando's New World Home Cooking. I had Jerk Chicken, which at a hot-factor of '6' was just about right for me, but could barely finish it because of the portion size. If I get to go again, and if I order the same dish I might bump it to a '7'. The food was very good, the quantities were a bit much for me, but for a burly guy I am sure they would be satisfying.  Our large group was easily accommodated with reservations.

On Saturday my mom drove up from southwestern Connecticut to spend some time with me, which was fantastic. She braved the crazy mid-morning Rhinebeck traffic, and was greeted with a skein of Sanguine Gryphon yarn I bought for her.  We then went yarn hunting, and I introduced her to Miss Babs - one of my favorite indie dyers. Mom had fun looking through all the colors before making her selections.

Saturday night was my choice for dinner, and I took the same large group from Friday night to Another Fork in the Road in Milan, NY - my favorite low-key, fantastic-food restaurant in the area. (BTW, Milan is not pronounced Meh-LAHN, but MILE-an). My choice off their ever-rotating dinner menu was Hen o' the Woods Risotto with nasturtium pesto. YUM!

I will briefly admit to also going to Another Fork for breakfast Sunday morning. Can't. Stay. Away. Fried egg sandwich with pancetta and swiss. The only bit of improvement that I could offer their way is the tea selection was disappointing. Twinings? Really?

My haul:
* a sweater's worth of Green Mountain Spinnery 'Green'
* several skeins of Sanguine Gryphon
* Miss Bab's
* Bartlett
* Briar Rose
* Fiber from Spirit Trail

SO. Starting November 1st my coldsheeping odyssey begins again.  I will be knitting only from my stash until May 2012.  During that time I would like to use up six skeins of sock yarn, knit a sweater's worth of yarn, and knit at least one project from my own handspun.  My overall goal for coldsheeping is to improve the quality of my stash, rather than the quantity.  Although I would be really happy if I manage to reduce the quantity as well!

1 comment:

  1. I'm cold-sheeping too! Unfortunately I didn't take too many pictures either, I was so distracted having fun with you, Jesse, and Chelsea that I sort of forgot about my camera :)

    ReplyDelete