Tuesday, January 3, 2012

10 Things I Want to Do in 2012: Creative Edition

The whirlwind of holiday travel is now behind me and I am slowly catching up on the day-to-day household chores that have fallen by the wayside.  I still seem to have at least two loads of laundry to do despite my best efforts.  On New Year's eve P and I started working on our old master bedroom and bathroom.  With a little help from a friend we got the whole thing repainted. It is now mostly finished - the bedroom could use a new ceiling fixture, the bathroom needs to have new track-lighting installed (I ripped out the old track lighting over the summer), but it is no longer an eye-searing shade of periwinkle (with a lilac ceiling). It looks like sane adults live in the house, despite the Snozzberry wallpaper in the front hall. (You can just see it through the doorway in our front room - still an alarming shade of Boysenberry yogurt. What was with the previous owners of this house and their deep abiding love of purple-ish paint?)



With such a productive and auspicious beginning to 2012 I am excited to see what else this year will bring!    I know I have big plans in my head, and I am constantly getting more from my boss (the greatest creative enabler there is) so it is time to make a record.  Handily, this also happens to be Carole's Ten on Tuesday subject for the week.  I am going to go for a sub-category and list my creative goals for 2012.


  1. Use 12 skeins of sock yarn in 2012. Yes, this is a repeat from last year, but with my sock yarn stash, it is medically necessary. In 2011 this goal acted as a great creative focus for me.
  2. Weave 6 projects exploring new techniques on my Rigid Heddle Loom.  Possibilities: clasped weft, Theo Moorman, color patterning, and I am sure I can come up with another three, otherwise, hang out with Nancy.
  3. Dye one blank with a natural dye locally sourced - onion skins, beets, woad, pokeberries, walnuts etc. I don't care if the dye is fugitive.
  4. Knit something with my own handspun. LORD! If I don't start using my own handspun I am going to be wrapped up like a mummy and buried with it.
  5. Knit three sweaters for myself - all out of stash. I certainly have the yarn for this goal.
  6. Design three patterns - any garment/accessory, one with beads.
  7. Use 13,000 yards out of stash for 2012. 
  8. Teach three new classes that I have never taught before. This requires a lot of work and preparation, but it is GOOD for me! Or so I keep telling myself.
  9. Start Christmas knitting in January. This should prevent that horrible sinking feeling in October and keep my knitting mojo on a more even keel.
  10. Try to make coiled yarn. This just looks like fun. It may require a larger orifice for my wheel.

There is never a lack of things to do or try, it is always a matter of finding the time to do it. So an unofficial 11th goal is to give myself studio time - an appointment I keep with myself to realize my goals.

I hope 2012 is a year of thriving creativity for everyone!

7 comments:

  1. Time to get cranking with that handspun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your list - so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't want you to be buried like a mummy with your handspun so you better get knitting immediately. It is January and you know what that means - time to knit a Christmas present with your handspun! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love #11. We all that goal. I love your list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! You're so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh spinning coiled yarn! I have some in my stash, purely because I love how it looks like brains to me (it helps that the yarn is pink, though not brain-pink).

    Good luck with the projects! I bet you can do the sock yarn one easy, you totally beat your goal with it this year :)

    ReplyDelete