Sunday, May 20, 2012

{ herb garden }

Last year's summer garden project is done.  We had a very early thaw, then several hard freezes that have made this spring a real challenge.  Below is the bed as it started out. I pulled the myrtle and ivy away from the house, then waited for my perenials to emerge.


March 13, 2012

My dormant Japanese Anemone plant came back with a vengeance. Given the chance this plant would have taken over the entire retaining wall garden. The core has been dug up and split.  I am trying to keep four transplants alive from this original plant.  Time will tell whether they will survive.  I really loved its beautiful pink flowers, so I hope it likes the new locations I have chosen for it.

May 14, 2012

A lot of weeding and hoeing occured before the plants were laid out and the bird bath was placed.
May 20, 2012
Planted herbs: Mint, sage, oregano, chives, taragon, chervil, lemon balm, lemon verbena, lavender, dill, chamomile, mint and sage. (My front yard is mostly thyme, so I didn't bother transplanting it.)
May 20, 2012

Also, nasturtiums are planted near the wall as I had an excellent nasturtium leaf pesto last October at Another Fork in the Road in Milan, New York. Rosemary is planted separately in a pot, and I will be getting basil seedlings from a friend who planted WAY too many. Yum!

Ideally I would have used some small willow edging fences, but they seem strangely hard to find through any reputable company.  Even through Amazon the sources look shady. Ah well.  I won't need them for a few years anyway.

I hope a picture at the end of the summer will be impressive!

2 comments:

  1. I remember the nasturtium pesto, it was divine!

    What is your thyme secret? I can't seem to keep any of it alive longer than a few months. It always keels over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thyme I have is certainly well established - it is planted on the upper tier of my front yard, cascades down to the next level, and is getting into my lawn! If anything I guess I would be careful about over-watering it. The thyme that is in the lawn gets mowed, abused, walked on and ripped up from time to time. It always bounces back.

      Delete