Friday, November 11, 2011

11.11.11 Poppies


Zeby and I both wore poppies at work today, the pattern can be found here. Thanks to Laura Chau for making the pattern available.  Excuse the bad phone pictures - the red is really off here. The sweater I am wearing is actually a rusty brown color, just as a means for comparison.

I used sock yarn leftovers held doubled instead of aran weight.  The red is Creatively Dyed Yarn Steele from my sister's Christmas socks from a few years back. The other is Madtosh Sock in Fig, which is actually a brown, but still looks fantastic against the near-florescent red of the petals. Each flower took about 30 minutes to make.

Because Laura made the pattern free with the hopes that knitters would make a donation, I made a donation to the American Legion in memory of my great-uncle Gus who was killed in action in WWII.  He died a year before my mother was born, if my research is correct.  I know next to nothing about him, only that he died and was buried in Europe and was the last male heir of the line. My grandmother, his sister, died when my mother was a young woman, and with my grandmother went the memories of Gus that would have been passed down through the family.

I know Gus isn't forgotten, though.  He has one remaining sister and I am sure she is thinking about him today.  And so am I, an unknown, never dreamed of grand-niece.

0 comments:

Post a Comment