Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Jury duty

Eighteen months ago I was selected for two Jury trials in Lansing. One was a homicide trial scheduled to take about 3 weeks. Thanks to P's profession, I was finally excused from that Jury. I was immediately put into another pool that landed me a two-day sexual assault trial.  And then this August I received another summons for my local district court.  Apparently the Jury Duty grace period in Michigan is 1 year.

I was originally summoned to report for Jury Duty back in September, during one of the busiest times of year at the shop. I was easily able to reschedule my service, much to my amazement.  My new summons was for today, and I dutifully went to East Lansing district court at my designated time - 12:30pm.  I checked in (no security!), was handed a sealed envelope with my 1/2 day's pay in it, and took a seat. I cast on for a sock, and prepared for the long wait. I put my knitting down during our orientation, and for the entire voir dire. Mercifully, I was not picked this time.

And, here's the thing. I was out by 2:30. I was totally not prepared for this.  And so my Jury Duty sock looks like this:

It's a Jury Duty toe. With Rhinebeck yarn from 2009 - Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock lightweight in Guppy.

And guess what? I don't have to call, report back, or get put into another Jury Pool. I am done. For one year.  What a relief!

If I get summoned again I hope it is to my little East Lansing district court.  On their website it states: "It is recommended that you bring something with you that you can do quietly while waiting, such as a book, knitting, newspaper, or crossword puzzles." Government approved knitting. Besides, the court is just one block from the yarn shop!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you can take knitting. I know some courts don't allow it! When I got called, it was for District Court downtown, but I never had to report. I only have been called once in my post-college adult life. Now I've probably jinxed the jury duty gods and am going to receive a summons in the mail tomorrow.

    My brother is a federal prosecutor. I wonder if that will somehow benefit me in the future? Probably not. Maybe I'll just never get called for federal court.

    ReplyDelete