Sunday, November 20, 2011

Rustic Oak Grove Mitts

A few weeks ago I was given a skein of Mountain Meadows Cody in their new natural dark grey color, and I couldn't wait to use it.  Woven Art has carried the natural white Cody for about a year now, and I have heard wonderful things about it.  The yarn was supposed to have a wonderful bounce and spring to it, and I was really intrigued. So I found a pattern and away I went.



Pattern: Oak Grove by Alana Dakos
Yarn: Cody, Mountain Meadows.  Dark Grey. 1 skein, 200 yards.
Needles: US 3
Mods: A few.  For the bind-off on the thumbs and around the top I used the tubular cast-off because it is beautiful, simple, and stretchy. I also flipped the final cable twist at the top of arch for one mitt so that they were a mirror image of each other. I also picked up 4 stitches and knit a garter stitch strap to help pull the fabric tight across the wrist.

My straps are a little uneven. Oh well.
I love this yarn so very much.  It is rustic, but soft and springy.  It is a "meaty" sport weight - I think it could probably be used as a DK for some patterns.  Cody also is lovely for projects that need good stitch definition.


It is my understanding that Cody is available in 4 natural colors; natural white, light grey, medium grey, dark grey.  There are also gorgeous kettle dyed colors that will be coming into the shop sometime soon. It pains me that I am not buying yarn until April 2012 - I really want to try some colorwork with this beautiful yarn that comes from sheep raised in Wyoming.

0 comments:

Post a Comment