Monday, November 28, 2011

Workaround

I have been on my Yarn diet for almost a month now, and it feels really good.  I am trying not to think about all the new yarns I want to try, nor about the yarns that are about to be deeply discounted at the shop.  My stash is large and bountiful. It has wonderful variety, and is of high quality.  It is enough for me.


It is easy to be sucked into a psychotic state when on a Cold-sheep yarn diet.  All those little scraps are so tantalizing - just a few yards to use up - but I am trying to keep my focus on the full skeins most of the time.  That being said, I did have two half-balls of Stonehedge Fiber Mill's Shepherd's Wool in my stash, and I decided that they needed to be worked together in a pattern I couldn't resist.  Since Shepherd's Wool worsted comes in 100 g / 250 yard skeins, half balls are actually consequential.

I carefully weighed the remaining balls, and it looked like I had what the pattern called for, or so I thought.  Somehow my calculations were off, and I have run out of my main color partway through a row.  I can rip back, but I would have to take out 6 rows, plus a short-row wedge. Sigh. So I am going to have to work some cheater magic and then cast off a bit prematurely.  Because I am not buying a 250 yard ball of yarn to use about 10 yards on a project that was supposed to use up 210 yards of yarn.

250 - 10 > 210

Math was never my strong suit (well, not until Algebra II & Trig), but I know the above equation is spot on.  This is how stashes are built, yard by yard, until you have enough yarn to keep you busy for eleven years, or to the end of your life, whichever comes first.

0 comments:

Post a Comment