Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Elizabeth Zimmermann: Striped Mitered Mittens

I am having a great time finishing up some of my long-languishing UFOs.  Right before Jury Duty I hit a bit of a lull in my knitting. I had just finished up a biggish project (not yet documented here) and wasn't feeling the love for something entirely new. So, I rummaged through my ziplock bags of abandoned projects until I found the mittens.



As I found them, one mitten was done except for the afterthought thumb.  The little stitch had been cut and the unraveled stitches were on needles, but that was it. I quickly finished the thumb within an hour.  Then I weighed my finished mitten and the two little balls of yarn to confirm that I had enough yarn to make a second mitten (because, honestly, if I don't have enough yarn, why bother??).

I did have enough yarn. So I cast on for the second mitten, and several hours later I had my second mitten done except for the thumb. Instead of just shoving the project back in the bag, I immediately cut the stitch for the afterthought thumb, and started working.

First mitten: 1 year, 1 month
Second mitten: 1 day

yeesh.

Pattern: Mitered Mittens by Elizabeth Zimmermann, Knitter's Almanac, May.
Yarn: SWTC, Karaoke in grey and purple-blue, 1 ball each.
Needles: US 7, magic loop, DPNs for thumbs.
Mods: Striping! Each of my stripes is 6 rows tall.

So happy these are done.

2 comments:

  1. Love them. I have been going through my UFO's as well. I am usually amazed at how quickly I finish them after languishing in the bag for months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured the original mittens featured stripes, because stripes show off mitering so well! They're really pretty, I think it might be time for me to knit something La Zimmermann designed :)

    ReplyDelete