Saturday, November 5, 2011

Denim & Copper Jeweled Cowl

I found another project that never got documented this summer!


Pattern: Jeweled Cowl by Sachiko Uemura, a free pattern on Ravelry
Yarn: Our Humble Castle Shalom in New Jeans, fingering weight superwash BFL & nylon, 405 yards
Needles: US 7
Mods: I kept knitting until I almost ran out of yarn (about 44 repeats), then I bound off!
Beads: 8/0 hexagon 462D oiled gold beads.

This skein of yarn was a test skein from the dyer - a local knitter & dyer in the Lansing area - who wanted to find out if she wanted to bring the base yarn into her stable. It was a very enthusiastic YES from me!  The yarn is lovely - it has that wonderful BFL hand to it, with extra strength from the nylon. And it obviously likes to soak up dye! As soon as I saw the color of the yarn she wanted me to test I knew EXACTLY what color beads I wanted: copper - like rivets on old-time Levi's.

yarn color is more accurate in the first picture, but bead color is accurate here!
I purchased the beads locally at T&T Trading Co. out in Grand Ledge, Michigan.  I think they are getting accustomed to me walking in with a big hank of yarn and spending a good hour pouring over their selection of Japan seed beads. Inevitably I walk out with more beads than I need, which I am sure is just fine with them, and surely saves me gas money in the long run.

Another fun project. And I should have some beading tips soon - how to use the crochet beading method when your beads are too small for your hook!


1 comment:

  1. Pretty! I have been meaning to go to T & T for a while now, but still haven't made it out there!

    ReplyDelete